Why startups fail

August 3rd, 2021

Reflex CapitalBlogWhy startups fail

Every day, hundreds, if not thousands of startups, are founded. Most of them won’t make it into a real company. Often not because there was not a good idea at the beginning or the customers did not want to buy the product or service. The reasons are often quite prosaic.

For example:

Money runs out. Financing has to be arranged soon enough. It’s too late to start when you have no money for next month pay-cheques. Even banks would rather lend money to those who don’t need them and have enough of their own cash.

Squabbling among founders. Nothing kills a company more surely than conflict between the owners. Sometimes they don’t agree on strategy, but often the reasons are “simple” human emotions and egos. If the company has multiple founders, they split their shares in a certain way at the beginning. Sometimes based on their skills, sometimes based on how much money they put in. Nobody cares that much, because the company has zero value and zero is easy to divide. 70% of zero is the same as 30% of zero. But when the value of the company goes up and the one who has 30% works from dawn till dusk and generates most of the revenue and the other, with 70%, spends most of their time in conferences and golfing, it all breaks down.

Company can’t handle scaling. For someone, who has not gone thru the process, it’s difficult to understand how hard is to convert a startup into a real company. How to go from a group of enthusiasts who work for the joy of it and keep everything informal, to a company with processes, where people manage other people, friends turn into managers and subordinates and where you start hiring people who come just for the job.

And quite often, the company fails because the founder, drunk on initial success, loses their humility. They start spending company money on cars, personal assistants and tailored suits. They start giving interviews and stop listening to their customers.

There’s a lot to be said. Building a company is hard.

More articles on

Recommended articles

The investor is not a patron

April 10th, 2024 •

Every investment transaction is essentially a bet on the person of the founder and their vision. There is usually nothing else in a startup.

Women in start-ups

December 22nd, 2023 •

At the end of October 2023, a strike for women’s equality took place in Iceland. Iceland is considered a world leader in gender equality. In this year’s World Economic Forum rankings, the island is ranked highest for the 14th consecutive year, yet Icelandic women are striking because they earn significantly less than men.

Wallet Inflation versus Brand Resonance

November 14th, 2022 •

In October Bushman completed one of the bank’s regular quarterly reviews. Things are heating up, consumer demand is down, people are getting cautious about spending on surplus goods, banks are raising rates and fortifying themselves. The consumer market is either holding on by the skin of its teeth or is already down on last year.

You’re on your own

August 3rd, 2022 •

I didn’t get it before either. I had an investor, a co-shareholder, a partner in my company. I put everything I had to the company. All my time, all my money. I pledged my house, gave up my salary. But in hard times, it was not enough. I went to my investor, and I expected them to provide some much-needed money, because he had the cash. And he surely wants to save his previous investment, right?

Go to blog

DO YOU WANT TO JOIN US?

HERE IS OUR CONTACT